Concern with our appearance is well known. The beauty industry is very dynamic, adapting to innovations and scientific breakthroughs. Its revenue is expected to reach US$7.4 billion by 2020.1 Today, rising incomes, changing lifestyles and growing consumer awareness of the science behind health and beauty continues to drive growth and increase the demand for more choice than there was before. Increasing numbers of consumers are now looking for evermore effective and non-invasive methods to boost their personal beauty.
Beautiful skin on the outside needs a healthy foundation on the inside. A growing body of research has shown how certain nutrients, and in particular collagen peptides, can significantly improve skin2. Also referred to as ‘Beauty from Within’ solutions, nutricosmetics are nutritional supplements which support the skin from the inside.
Globally recognized as the preferred bioactive ingredient of leading nutri-cosmetic brands, Peptan collagen peptides are safe, bioactive peptides, optimized to be easily digestible, highly bioavailable and effective in delivering specific benefits to skin tissue. Peptan is now benefiting from a notable increase in popularity in Western markets thanks to the growth of the nutricosmetics industry outside of Asia. Credible scientific research provides nutricosmetic manufacturers with vital information when looking to create clear differentiation for their products in a competitive market place.
Read our latest article published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dematology
As the most extensively researched collagen peptides brand available on the market, Peptan’s anti-aging benefits are well documented with visible effects demonstrated after just one month of use in several clinical studies3,4.
From the age of around 30 years, skin cells (fibroblasts) activity starts to slow down, leading to a loss of collagen density and the first appearance of visible signs of aging such as wrinkle formation, dehydration and loss of firmness, Peptan can counteract these effects of aging and promote a more youthful appearance by supplying a boost and a restructuring effect on the skin's collagen network from within. By stimulating the production of hyaluronic acid, Peptan also offers skin hydration benefits. The efficacy of Peptan is backed by a large body of evidence, and including three controlled studies on women.
In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial3, 106 women aged 40-65 received 10g of Peptan or placebo per day for a period of three months.
- Peptan significantly decreased the fragmentation of collagen in the deep layer of the dermis – by 18% after four weeks and as much as 31% after twelve weeks of Peptan intake.
- Peptan helps improve the quality of skin collagen by reversing structural damage that occurs during skin aging.
The same clinical study3, also investigated the density of collagen in the dermis and showed the following:
- Peptan significantly increased the density of collagen in the dermis by 9% after a mere four weeks of intake
- Peptan provides an anti-aging effect by maintaining the structure and integrity of the skin's matrix
In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial3, 33 women aged 40-59 received 10g of Peptan or placebo per day for a period of two months.
- Peptan increased skin hydration by as much as 28% after eight weeks of intake.
- Peptan helps counteract the appearance of dry skin typical in aging by increasing the skin's moisture levels.
In an ex vivo study3 an acidic glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) was visualized by Alcian Blue staining in a histological analysis.
- Peptan treatment significantly increased the amount of acidic GAGs present in the epidermis in a dose-dependent manner, to a max. increase of +745 %. This increase is mainly represented by hyaluronic acid since it is the main acidic GAG of the skin.
- Peptan helps improve the skin's moisture by increasing the amount of water-binding hyaluronic acid in the epidermis.
- Transparency Market Research, 2015
- Cosgrove, M.C. et al., 2007, Dietary nutrient intakes and skin-aging appearance among middle-aged American women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 86 (4): 1225-1231
- Asserin, J. et al., 2015. The effect of oral collagen peptide supplementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from an ex vivo model and randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 14:291-301. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12174
- Borumand, M. et al., 2014, Daily consumption of the collagen supplement Pure Gold Collagen® reduces visible signs of aging, Clinical Interventions in Aging. 9:1747-1758