Concern with our appearance is well known. The beauty industry is very dynamic, adapting to innovations and scientific breakthroughs. Its revenue is expected to reach US$7.4 billion by 2020.1 Today, rising incomes, changing lifestyles and growing consumer awareness of the science behind health and beauty continues to drive growth and increase the demand for more choice than there was before. Increasing numbers of consumers are now looking for evermore effective and non-invasive methods to boost their personal beauty.
Beautiful skin on the outside needs a healthy foundation on the inside. A growing body of research has shown how certain nutrients, and in particular collagen peptides, can significantly improve skin2. Also referred to as ‘Beauty from Within’ solutions, nutricosmetics are nutritional supplements which support the skin from the inside.
Globally recognized as the preferred bioactive ingredient of leading nutri-cosmetic brands, Peptan collagen peptides are safe, bioactive peptides, optimized to be easily digestible, highly bioavailable and effective in delivering specific benefits to skin tissue. Peptan is now benefiting from a notable increase in popularity in Western markets thanks to the growth of the nutricosmetics industry outside of Asia. Credible scientific research provides nutricosmetic manufacturers with vital information when looking to create clear differentiation for their products in a competitive market place.
Read our latest article published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dematology
A new randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study1 shows that taking Peptan® collagen peptides goes beyond just helping smooth wrinkles. The study provides powerful scientific evidence that the oral supplement reduces skin pore visibility and strengthens hair, and proves these benefits happen at lower doses shown before.1
By Dr. Janne Prawitt, Scientific Director, Peptan®. June 2019.
- Peptan B increases the mechanical strength of hair in 13%
Peptan B effectively reduces skin wrinkles:
- 13% around the eyes
- 10% around the mouth
As the most widely researched collagen peptide brand on the market, Peptan's anti-aging benefits are well documented. Many clinical studies have shown that Peptan alone shows significant anti-aging effects after one month 3,4.
From about the age of 30, the activity of skin cells (fibroblasts) begins to decline, leading to a decrease in collagen density and the onset of significant signs of aging, such as wrinkles, dehydration, and decreased firmness.
Oral Peptan can internally increase and reconstitute the skin collagen network to counteract the effects of these aging and make people look younger. Peptan also stimulates the production of hyaluronic acid, providing good hydration properties. The efficacy of Peptan is supported by a large body of scientific evidence, including the following three women's controlled studies.
In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial3, 33 women aged 40-59 received 10g of Peptan or placebo per day for a period of two months.
- Peptan increased skin hydration by as much as 28% after eight weeks of intake.
- Peptan helps counteract the appearance of dry skin typical in aging by increasing the skin's moisture levels.
In an ex vivo study3 an acidic glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) was visualized by Alcian Blue staining in a histological analysis.
- Peptan treatment significantly increased the amount of acidic GAGs present in the epidermis in a dose-dependent manner, to a max. increase of +745 %. This increase is mainly represented by hyaluronic acid since it is the main acidic GAG of the skin.
- Peptan helps improve the skin's moisture by increasing the amount of water-binding hyaluronic acid in the epidermis.
- Transparency Market Research, 2015, Nutricosmetics Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2014 - 2020
- Cosgrove, M.C. et al., 2007, Dietary nutrient intakes and skin-aging appearance among middle-aged American women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 86 (4): 1225-1231
- Asserin, J. et al., 2015. The effect of oral collagen peptide supplementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from an ex vivo model and randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, doi: 10.1111/jocd.12174
- Borumand, M. et al., 2014, Daily consumption of the collagen supplement Pure Gold Collagen® reduces visible signs of aging, Clinical Interventions in Aging. 9:1747-1758
- Rousselot unpublished study