Exciting opportunities for contributing to healthy aging
In virtually every country of the world, the population is aging, while health and wellness expectations are rising. The opportunities for manufacturers of food and dietary concepts are immense. Peptan collagen peptides are the natural choice for manufacturers looking to boost the nutritional profile of their products and develop solutions with proven health benefits to improve the quality of life of the aging consumers.
An appealing nutritional solution for mobility
Today’s active agers look for functional foods that taste great, convenient and easy to consume. Peptan embraces this demand, its exceptional organoleptic and functional properties make it easy to integrate into senior diet.
Peptan is a bioactive protein supporting healthy aging
Peptan's efficacy is demonstrated in scientific studies
As one of the most extensively researched collagen peptides on the market, the efficacy of Peptan in promoting mobility is supported by an impressive body of scientific evidence. Peptan is unique as it simultaneously supports all the connective tissues by stimulating local cells in the target tissues to produce more collagen and other key matrix components. A wide range of studies has demonstrated Peptan’s ability to promote healthy joints and strong bones. Collagen peptides also support lean muscle mass and strength.
One Peptan supports overall mobility
Wear and tear on joints can cause stiffness and discomfort in older adults. Collagen is fast becoming the preferred active ingredient for joint health supplements and the efficacy of Peptan for improving joint function and reducing discomfort is backed by scientific studies including in vitro, in vivo and clinical trials.
Maintaining Healthy Joints
In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial1, 94 women aged 40-70 with knee joint problems (osteoarthritis classification: 0-III) received 8g of Peptan or placebo daily for a period of 6 months.
- WOMAC score is the international standard method for assessing joint health clinically in patients
- Peptan treatment resulted in a statistically significant decrease of the WOMAC score by -22% linked to a 32% decrease in joint pain and 44% improvement of stiffness (subscale scores).
Improving joint function
The same study also sought to discover whether Peptan could improve knee joint function in the same group of women.
- The Lysholm score is linked to improved knee movement in everyday activities,
- Peptan treatment resulted in a statistically significant increase in the Lysholm score by 7% which demonstrates the improvements over time.
Stimulating chondrocytes (cartilage cells)
In an in vitro study2, primary cartilage cells (chondrocytes) were cultured in the presence of different concentrations of Peptan for 8 days to demonstrate Peptan’s ability to induce the production of the key cartilage components, aggrecan and type 2 collagen, which make up the joint tissue.
- Peptan treatment clearly stimulated the expression of aggrecan and type 2 collagen by the joint cells.
Cartilage-regenerative and anti-inflammatory effects of Peptan
A new in vivo study3 confirms Peptan's role in supporting joint health, providing scientific documentation of the mechanisms behind cartilage regeneration and joint inflammation reduction. Peptan is:
it preserves cartilage area during osteoarthritis development
it stimulates chondrocyte proliferation (increased number) and stimulates proteoglycan synthesis.
it normalizes synovial thickness and reduces production of the inflammatory marker TNF.
Maintaining strong bones reduces the risk of fractures later in life. Collagen makes up the structural framework on which minerals are deposited. When taken as a supplement, collagen peptides can support healthy and strong bones, as shown in multiple in vitro, in vivo and clinical trials4-7. Peptan can stimulate the endogenous production of collagen in bone tissue, triggering osteoblasts (bone formation cells) and increasing bone size and firmness.
Peptan can ideally be combined with calcium and vitamin D to offer optimal bone health benefits.
Restoring bone mineral density
In an in vivo study4 an established model that mimics the loss of bone mass (osteopenia) in postmenopausal women (Ovx) was used to investigate the effect of Peptan supplementation– the experimental group (Ovx + Peptan) received a daily dose of Peptan for 3 months in addition to a normal diet (with adequate level of calcium, protein and Vitamin D). The Ovx and Control group received a normal diet only.
- Peptan treatment restored bone mineral density (BMD) in the experimental group to the normal level. In contrast, the control group experienced a reduced BMD.
Improving bone strength
The same study as above also investigated the microarchitecture and strength of bones and demonstrate the following:
- Peptan treatment increased ultimate bone strength compared to the control group.
Stimulating osteoblasts (bone cells)
The mechanisms behind Peptan’s bone health benefits are well known. As an example, Peptan was compared to a control protein in below in the vitro study5, referred to below, primary bone cells were cultured in the presence of Peptan for 2 weeks.
- Peptan treatment promoted the formation of bone-forming cells (osteoblasts) and stimulated their activity. In contrast, the presence of bone-resorbing cells (osteoclasts) were suppressed. The control protein (BSA) did not demonstrate the same effect.
Sarcopenia is the age-related loss of muscle mass and function. Exercise and adequate intake of easily digestible protein is vital to counteracting the condition's effects. The recommended protein intake for healthy adults is 0.8g/kg body weight per day8. However, older people can benefit from a higher intake which is often difficult as their diets often lack protein. As a bioactive protein, Peptan can help maintain lean body mass in older adults.
Maintaining muscle mass
In a double-blind, crossover trial9, nitrogen balance was compared in a group of elderly women aged 65 - 85 who consumed a diet supplemented with either whey protein or collagen peptides.
- Women receiving whey protein lost body weight and had increased nitrogen excretion during the study period while those parameters remained stable under collagen peptides supplement.
- Collagen peptides can help maintain nitrogen balance and preserve lean body mass.
- Jiang J.X. et al., 2014, Collagen peptides improve knee osteoarthritis in elderly women: A 6-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Agro FOOD Industry Hi Tech 25: 19-23
- Rousselot unpublished data, 2011
- Dar, Q. et al., 2017. Daily oral consumption of hydrolyzed type 1 collagen is chondroprotective and anti-inflammatory in murine posttraumatic osteoarthritis. PLoS ONE 12(4):e0174705
- Guillerminet, F. et al., 2010, Hydrolyzed collagen improves bone metabolism and biomechanical parameters in ovariectomized mice: An in vitro and in vivo study. Bone, 46: 827-834
- Guillerminet, F. et al., 2012, Hydrolyzed collagen improves bone status and prevents bone loss in ovariectomized C3H/HeN mice. Osteoporosis International, 23(7):1909-1919
- Daneault, A. et al., 2014, Hydrolyzed collagen contributes to osteoblast differentiation in vitro and subsequent bone health in vivo. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 22: S131
- Daneault, A. et al., 2017. Biological effect of hydrolyzed collagen on bone metabolism. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 57(9):1922-1937
- WHO Technical Report Series 935
- Hays N.P. et al., 2009, Effects of whey and fortified collagen hydrolysate protein supplements on nitrogen balance and body composition in older women. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 109:1082-1087.